11 Scientific & Technical Areas Investigated for 2017 Oscars
Press Release from the Academy:
11 SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNICAL AREAS UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR 2017 OSCARS®
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today that 11 distinct scientific and technical investigations have been launched for the 2017 Oscars®.These investigations are made public so individuals and companies with devices or claims of innovation within these areas will have the opportunity to submit achievements for review.The deadline to submit additional entries is Tuesday, August 15, at 5 p.m. PT. The Academy’s Scientific and Technical Awards Committee has started investigations into the following areas:
- Systems using multiple, stabilized, synced cameras to capture background footage, with integrated playback for simulating movement in static vehicles
- Submersible, telescoping camera cranes
- Automated systems for cinema auditorium quality control
- Systems for onset digital dailies with color managed workflows
- Systems for onboard RAW recording for digital cinema cameras
- Gyroscopically stabilized camera platforms for aerial cinematography
- Systems for modular character rigging enabling large scale, complex, high quality 3D digital character animation
- Systems for digital storyboarding and story reel development
- Efficient systems for interactive animation of large numbers of high-resolution 3D characters with full surface detail
- Single surface audio platforms for automated dialogue replacement (ADR).
- Software applications to synthesize complex sound scenes from a limited set of source elements
Claims of prior art or similar technology must be submitted online at www.oscars.org/awards/scitech/apply.html.
For further information, contact the Scientific and Technical Awards Office at (310) 247-3000, ext. 1129, or via e-mail at email@example.com.
After thorough investigations are conducted in each of the technology categories, the committee will meet in November to vote on recommendations to the Academy’s Board of Governors, which will make the final awards decisions.
The 2017 Scientific and Technical Awards Presentation will be held on Saturday, February 10, 2018.The 90th Oscars will be held on Sunday, March 4, 2018, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.